Monday, September 22, 2008

P: 3 Daily Goals

When prospecting for new business, there should be 1 goal - to find as many new opportunities as possible. The best way to do this is to focus on 3 sub-goals.

#1 - Time spent prospecting
#2 - Number of calls made
#3 - Number of "Initial" appointments made

It is not wise to focus on 1 or 2 of these. You should do all you can to reach your goal for each of them. This balanced effort will bring the best and most consistent results.

For example - I have found that for me, that I should prospect for a minimum of 2 hours a day, make at least 20 calls (whether on the phone or outside "door knocking"), and set at least 2 appointments.

Now - this is really important: The most important goal of the 3 is setting 2 appointments. But, if I set 2 appointments in the first 20 minutes, I do not stop! I go the full 2 hours. (And obviously more whenever possible) Why? Because there will be days when I go for 2 hours and set none. When that happens, I do stop at the 2 hour mark - unless I have the time in my schedule to keep going - but if I don't, I know the next day I may very well set 4 appointments in that time frame.

It is obviously important to track your efforts, or to ask your manager what the average ratios are in your business, so you can base your efforts on something. Otherwise, just GO! and start tracking your efforts so that you will soon know what works for you.

But the important thing is to focus on each of the 3 goals in order to accomplish the main goal. Then you can never go wrong!

No comments: