Thursday, September 25, 2008

TI: Opening Statement

Are you effectively setting the tone of your first appointment with each customer?

Starting off with an impact statement, or something that appropriately sets the tone for the first appointment is vital to you controlling that meeting to the advantage of yourself and the customer.

For example: I appreciate your time today, Bob. My goal today is simple. I'd like to see if there is at least one way to benefit your business. If there is, I hope to earn your business and become your new provider. Do you mind if I start by asking you a few questions based on the agenda I sent over? (The agenda will be discussed in a later post)

With an approach like this, you show respect, but you maintain control of the meeting. And with that control - not ever to be taken advantage of - you set the stage to effectively ask questions and find out in what ways you can benefit their business. It's that simple.

So - are you beginning with an expectation-setting, interest-piquing opening statement?

1 comment:

ecommerce said...

Nice blog Lee! We should go out and stir up some business one day next week if you have time. Oli